First impressions count. A fresh lick of Dulux paint on your front door can freshen up the look of your whole house. It creates a warm welcome for visitors while making your home the street’s style star.
- Before you get started, the most important thing to consider is the colour. Make sure you choose a shade that reflects your personality and gives people a taste of what they can experience on the inside.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with bright colours – they’re a great way to make neutral exteriors like concrete renders or brown bricks ‘pop’.
- Then, it’s time to prep your door. If you’re painting over existing paint work you’ll likely find that it’s coated in either a gloss or semi-gloss paint. For best results and to ensure maximum adhesion, sand your surface thoroughly and dust off before painting.
- If you’re painting onto a bare surface, over a darker colour or a repaired surface, a coat of primer is recommended to seal your surface and provide the ideal base for painting. Apply 1 coat of Dulux® 1 Step® Acrylic Primer, Sealer & Undercoat and leave it to dry for two hours.
- Finally, it’s time to give your door a fresh look. Apply two coats of Dulux® Aquanamel® in your chosen colour. For the best finish, allow a minimum of two hours drying time between each coat then enjoy the new look.
More how to guides
There are some key points to note when preparing to paint exterior areas. Using the correct technique and quality paints will result in a painting job that is faster, cheaper and easier to use than alternative methods.
Painting your fence has been made easy with the Dulux RapidFinishTM multipurpose spray unit, so you can spend less time painting than if using a brush or roller. See how easy it is!