Tips from the professionals
So, you’ve decided to protect your home with Dulux. Here are some tips to help you decide whether it is okay to paint over the old paint in your home. Follow this guide to extend the life of your paintwork and help maintain the value of your investment.
Ensure the surface you are painting on is sound (for exterior painting)
If you are painting over existing paint, you need to ensure you will have a sound surface for adhesion of your paint. This is what the Paint Adhesion Test is for.
- To do this, ensure the surface is sound by cutting a small X through the existing paint with a sharp blade, press sticky tape firmly across the cut and then rip off the tape. If the paint comes off, it is unsound and should be removed. Repeat at random in a number of areas to test the surface.
- Scrape off all loose and flaking paint and ensure the surface is dry. If you are unsure, we recommend that you contact a qualified painter.
If there is poor adhesion, you may need to strip the paint off the surface before proceeding. Stripping can be by sanding and scraping, or with chemical strippers. The appropriate protective clothing and equipment should be worn for either method.
If you believe there might be Lead Coatings present, It is recommended to have a professional painting contractor test and remove this. Visit Dulux Accredited Painters. Lead paints are most likely to be present in properties painted prior to 1990. Guidelines for the Management of Lead-based Paint.
Clean the surface
If you have found the surface you are painting is sound, follow these steps to correctly clean and prepare it.
You will need:
Exterior: Dulux Prep Wash (dilute as per label instructions)
Interior: Selley’s Sugar Soap (dilute as per label instructions), fresh water, dry cloth, scrubbing brush
- Wet surface with either Prep Wash or Sugar Soap
- Scrub surface with brush and then rinse with clean water
- Wipe dry with rag
- Allow to dry before painting
How to guides
There are some key points to note when preparing to paint exterior areas. Using the correct technique and quality paints will result in a painting job that is faster, cheaper and easier to use than alternative methods.
Painting your fence has been made easy with the Dulux RapidFinishTM multipurpose spray unit, so you can spend less time painting than if using a brush or roller. See how easy it is!