So, you’ve decided to protect your home with Dulux. Here are some helpful tips on caring for the freshly painted walls in your home. Follow this guide to extend the life of your paintwork and help maintain the value of your investment.
How do you extend the life of your painted walls?
Allow the paint to cure properly once painted, it can take around a full week under normal weather conditions to develop full washability.
It is then important to know how to remove dirt, grease and mould, without damaging the paint surface. The best process for cleaning surfaces will vary based on the sheen finish on the painted walls.
Throughout the living areas and bedrooms of most homes, you will normally find ceilings finished in a flat finish with paint such as Dulux Ceiling White, and walls in matt or low sheen finish in paints such as Weathershield for the outside and Wash&Wear for the inside. Doors, windows and trims will usually be painted with a Gloss or Semi Gloss finish paint.
Cleaning interior surfaces coated in Low Sheen to Matt finishes
For wall coatings or ceiling coatings that are flat finishes do not use rough abrasives or solvent cleaners, stiff scrubbing brushes or harsh caustic preparations. Instead, use warm water with a small amount of mild detergent.
- Apply the solution to the affected area with a soft cloth, where the marking is particularly stubborn.
- Having thoroughly cleaned the affected area, you should then proceed to wash down the whole wall or ceiling to eliminate any chance of patchiness.
- Finally, rinse off the washed area with clean water and allow to dry. Avoid vigorous scrubbing with chemicals or brushes and scourers to prevent burnishing the surfaces and causing shiny patches.
Cleaning interior surfaces coated in Semi Gloss and Gloss finishes
- Don’t use abrasives or caustic-based cleaning compounds.
- Instead use warm water, with a little detergent added. You can use a damp cloth and cleaner such as Ajax Spray n' Wipe or Selleys Sugar Soap Wall Wipes for stubborn stains.
- Apply to the affected area with a soft cloth and be sure to wash down the whole surface with clean water and allow to dry.
Cleaning exterior surfaces coated in Matt, Low Sheen, Semi Gloss and Gloss finishes
- Prepare a bucket of warm water mixed with a moderate amount of household detergent.
- Apply to the entire painted area with a soft bristle brush, broom or soft cloth, naturally you will need ladders, scaffolding and a long handled applicator to reach some of the higher parts of your home’s exterior, under eaves, along fascias, etc.
- Before the wall or other painted surface has the opportunity to dry, you should hose it down thoroughly with clean water. Hosing down by itself, even with a very good water pressure, is not usually sufficient to remove the normal build-up of road grime, sap stains, dust and so on.
- We recommend washing your walls every two years to maintain the life of the paint.
Save your Dulux touch-up paint!
Your painter may have left you with some leftover Dulux touch-up paint. This provides you with a sample of the type and colour of paint that was used on your home. If required, please use it to touch-up existing paintwork should you damage it over the coming years or use as a reference if purchasing larger volumes.
Throughout the Dulux site you will find tips for painting, here is our guide on How to use a paint brush, however our Help & Advice team is available to assist on 0800 800 424.
With Dulux paint protecting your home, you can be sure you have selected a quality paint with long lasting protection to keep your home looking fresher for longer.