Loss of paint due to poor adhesion. Where there is a primer and top coat, or multiple coats of paint, peeling may involve some or all coats.
- Seepage of moisture through uncaulked joints, worn caulk or leaks in roof or walls
- Excess moisture escaping through the exterior walls (more likely if paint is solvent-based)
- Inadequate surface preparation
- Use of lower quality paint
- Applying a solvent-based paint over a wet surface
- Earlier blistering of paint (see Blistering)
Try to identify and eliminate the cause of moisture (see Efflorescence and mottling). Prepare surface by removing all loose paint with scraper or wire brush, sand rough surfaces, prime bare timber.
Repaint with a top quality water-based exterior paint for best adhesion and water resistance. Dulux recommends Dulux 1 Step® Primer Sealer & Undercoat with Dulux Weathershield®.
For more information, please consult our detailed Technical Advice note on the topic.