Your shopping list
- Dulux Wash&Wear Low Sheen in your chosen colour
- Dulux Aquanamel Semi Gloss in your chosen colour
- Dulux 1Step Prep
- For walls use a 12mm or 15mm nap synthetic roller and quality paint brush.
- For the fireplace use a 5-9mm nap synthetic roller for large areas and quality paint brush for trims.
- Paint pot – for cutting in
- Roller tray
- Roller extension pole
- Drop sheets
- Painter’s masking tape
- 400 grit sandpaper
Time to paint!
Walls with Dulux Wash&Wear Low Sheen
- Follow the preparation steps on the back of the can. Dulux® 1Step® Prep can be used for a prep coat.
- Using Wash&Wear Low Sheen, start by cutting in around the edges of the wall with a brush. These are areas the roller cannot easily reach.
- Using a 9mm or 12mm nap synthetic roller, load roller in the tray with a reasonable amount of paint.
- Start rolling the wall in an ‘M’ pattern. Start closest to the natural light source. Continue over the same section until the wall is evenly covered.
- Using an unloaded roller begin in the top left corner of your wall and gently let the roller roll down to the baseboards in a straight line with no pressure. A lightness of touch will prevent new roller marks from forming. Repeat this action, only this time slightly overlap your last movement so your roller rubs away the line created by the previous stroke. Continue this across the area you have painted. This is called laying off.
- Reload your roller and repeat until the wall is complete.
- Allow the first coat to dry and repeat the total process again with a second coat.
Fireplace with Aquanamel Semi Gloss
- Follow the preparation steps on the back of the can.
- Begin by taping around the fireplace, window or trim with painter’s masking tape.
- Using Aquanamel Semi Gloss, start by cutting in using a high quality synthetic brush at the top and bottom of the edges of the trim, then finish off the middle.
- Apply paint to the trim using short, horizontal brush strokes. Repeat the motion for about a metre.
- Smooth over the painted section with long brush strokes. Do not reload the brush when you do this. Don’t brush it too much – a few strokes should be enough to smooth the surface.
- Repeat this process until complete. Allow to dry, then give the surface a light sand with 400 grit sandpaper and repeat for a second coat.
Note: With windows it is recommended to paint the inner window sections first then move to the outer trim. And remember, always keep windows open as they dry and ensure to move them constantly to prevent them from sticking together.
Dulux Aquanamel can be used in place of traditional oil based enamels, which not only saves time, but has the added benefit of paintwork not turning yellow with time. Click here to order online for delivery to your door.
How to - Videos
Nothing beats a great paint job, especially one you’ve done yourself. Give yourself the best chance at success by following the instructions.
Your guide to product selection for repainting interior and exterior weather affected surfaces.