What you will need
Now it's time to head to the store to pick up everything you need.
- Dulux Wash&Wear Low Sheen in your chosen colour
- Undercoat/stain blocker (if required)
- High quality synthetic brush for cutting in
- Quality medium nap (10 -18mm) synthetic roller
- Paint pot – for cutting in
- Roller tray
- Roller extension pole
- Drop sheets
- Painter’s tape
Time to paint
You're now ready to paint. Follow these steps to get the best result.
- Follow the preparation steps in the prep guide.
- Start by cutting in around the edges of the wall with a brush – these are areas the roller cannot easily reach.
- Load the roller in the tray with a reasonable amount of paint.
- Start rolling the wall in an ‘M’ pattern. Start closest to the natural light source and move away. Then continue over the same section until the wall is evenly covered.
- Using an unloaded roller begin in the top left corner of your wall and gently let the roller roll down to the baseboards in a straight line with no pressure. A lightness of touch will prevent new brush strokes from forming. Repeat this action, only this time, slightly overlap your last movement so your roller rubs away the line created by the previous stroke. Continue this across the area you have painted. This is called laying off.
- Reload your roller and repeat until the wall is complete.
- Allow the first coat to dry and repeat the total process again with a second coat.
- Lastly, stand back and admire your handy work. Well done!