Making great paint in New Zealand since 1939
Dulux opened our first New Zealand manufacturing plant in Gracefield, Lower Hutt in 1939. Since then hundreds of millions of litres of water-based paint and coatings products have been produced and then distributed from here throughout New Zealand, helping protect, maintain and enhance the spaces and places that kiwis live, work and play.
Just as trends and fashions have changed over the years, so too have we. Back in 1939 we were known as British Lead Manufacturers, which was eventually, in 1955 abbreviated to BALM Paints Ltd. Then, in 1971, we finally adopted the name of our flagship brand – Dulux.
In 1986 we became a wholly-owned division of ICI New Zealand Ltd. Then, with the purchase of BJN Holdings in 1988, British Paints was added to our range.
In 1998, ICI PLC sold its shareholding in ICI Australia. As a result, Orica Limited was born and Dulux New Zealand became an Orica consumer products group. In 2010, Dulux was demerged from Orica and Dulux New Zealand became part of Australian publically listed company DuluxGroup. Dulux in New Zealand remain a part of DuluxGroup today.
The Journey of a Paint Pail
Follow the journey of a pail of Dulux paint, from creation in our Gracefield, Lower Hutt factory, to storage in our warehouse, through distribution to stores, product selection, application at your home and then disposal.